I do not particularly like how quickly the year has passed. I kind of want to reclaim the delirium of the first few months, with all its heady sudden exposure and immersion into the seedy and provocative and profound and silly. I savoured the thrill of new friends and the discovery of the all strange people that run amok in my school. I liked being the sort of young, freshly-picked first year student.
I think I loved school a little less towards the end of the semester because of certain problems, but it wasn't really Wesleyan's fault, more my own and the pitfalls of my social patterns. These days I truly appreciate the novelty of Wesleyan's population. I love that the people here are complete hippies who think wearing Uggs and popped collars is less a fashion statement than a mark of village idiots. I like that the people like to run naked through the dining hall, or sing bad 80s pop songs at the very top of the stairs. I like that people play croquet on the lawn like something out of Alice in Wonderland, with real mallets and perfect thrift store outfits to match the mood. I like that doing bold things to make you believe in your sexiness is an act of liberation in this environment that is fun and not trashy, and not something you need to be afraid of. I like all the colorful characters that make up the school's dominant image. I wish I knew more people like them, and were constantly surrounded by them.
I'm looking forward to making the most of my year next year. Perhaps, at the end of it, I will emerge the country's first fire spinning, burlesque performing, roving reportering, English/Classics/History major vixen. I am a tad ambitious, but it is good to harbour big dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment