On my first day of work, I sat in the office for far too many hours reading Dave Barry columns (including the funniest story ever), eating chocolate and listening to my iPod. Also, I got paid for this.
The greater part of my day comprised such idle inefficiency, which I tried to battle by reading, on top of the fabulous Mr. Barry, articles on the city of Alexandria and fading Egyptian culture, walking in Ireland versus driving in California and battling the temptation of mindless reality television in favour of political activism, mostly courtesy of my ever-reliable PopMatters. I also read a New Yorker article on Francis Gaston and had a valiant attempt at some rubbish on Immanuel Kant interrupted by a boring figure of authority.
Anyway, I arrived home to a Napoleon Dynamite! dvd. I watched the Golden Globes in between the movie, cheering on my favourite Desperate Housewives and marvelling at Meryl Streep's glowing skin.
I do think I will eventually run out of things to read at work, and do hope I will actually be given some kind of work to busy myself with (gasp). Being idle like that is initially enjoyable, but later only makes one feel like a mere body meant to fill up space and eat into company profits. Actual work, at least, will warrant my waking up at any time before 8am.
No comments:
Post a Comment