So, the barrage of exams begins tomorrow.
So, I'm not quite ready.
But maybe I shouldn't indulge my pathological worrying and anxiety and talk about nicer, better things. I've started watching Jack & Bobby, because I am a sucker for the WB network's neverending stream of adolescent tv shows, which includes things like Gilmore Girls. The premise of the tv show is that one of the two brothers grows up to be the President of the United States while the other dies, and exactly which of them pursues which destiny is revealed by the end of the pilot. It lends the show a constant sense of foreknowledge, the same way the Virgin Suicides does, or Marquez's Chronicle of a Death Foretold does. The focus of the show is on the boys as teenagers, the precocious Bobby, the handsome track-star-wants-to-be-cool Jack, and their funny single mother, a History professor and endless regurgitator of funny lines. Anyway, this is interjected with people related to the President talking about his administration, governance and election, which makes it very interesting, since people of the future as essentially reflecting on a past that is currently our present, because the boys are teenagers in our 2004. Does that make sense? Probably not, but it does grapple interestingly enough with linear notions of time and the creation of history towards an inevitable destiny. And anyway, I'm hooked on the show, because its very easy to pander to my lousy taste. :)
Also, I sent off my terrible essays with my Amherst application at 2am last night, and I expect my THIN envelope any day now. The US college application process is not for the faint of heart, I'd say. Perhaps I might be better off staying exactly where I am, static and boring like my life has always been and will inevitably continue to be. I'm creating my own boring history, working towards my inevitably boring destiny. I just hope I die young and perhaps become immortalized as a demi-goddess of boredom, listlessness and avid tv/movie-watching.
Perhaps I shouldn't make excuse, perhaps I should make something of myself.
I'll make something of myself after I get over my failure in the upcoming exams. Yes.
Now, back to memorizing quotes for Shakespeare.
No comments:
Post a Comment